after a lot of thinking I have decided to “retire” (for the time being) all of the performance poems I have been doing for the last 10 years. Many of these poems, while I do love, are products of a time when I was in the midst of processing through some life experiences that I have closure on now. While the topics are still very poignant, I think it will help to motivate me as an artist to not rely on those “tried and true” poems that I know to be strong, and step outside my comfort zone and try new things. Also, I have plenty of new ideas for a whole crop of new work that I would love to focus more on anyway. In the future, I may reintroduce older poems into my line-up, but only after I have finished the 20 or so new poems I have in mind to work on and finish by 2015.
I am honored and excited to be one of the finalists in the Where Are You Press publishing contest. For samples of all of the finalists in the competition please visit whereareyoupress.tumblr.com
i’ve been off the radar for a little bit because I had this little guy. we’re gonna do some great things.
It may sound romantic, but in search of that elusive metaphor, poets can be somewhat “eccentric.”
- If you date a poet everyone will think you are the jerk they are writing about.
- You will be the jerk they are writing about.
- They have an unnatural affection for book stores and office supply stores.
- They have deep conversations with Animals, Clouds, and Grecian Urns.
- Excessive use of “poetry hands.”
- Excessive abuse of “poetic licence.”
- Excessive use of “melancholy.”
- Excessive use of “dramatic emphasis.”
- They collect obscure words that have not been in circulation for at least 100 years or more.
- They insert these antediluvian words into conversations just to rebel.
- They think children’s books are sublime.
- They refuse to care where the remote is.
- All of their furniture are positioned around windows, for them to stare out for hours at a time.
- Your parents will think they are possessed.
- They are possessed.
View original post 428 more words
this is Davy. He is one of the best writers I have ever had the pleasure of working with, and a pretty swell guy too. check his poems out